Monday, July 25, 2005

Blood Drive at the Zoo

On Saturday, I went to a blood drive at the Kansas City Zoo. The high was close to 100 degrees and with the heat, there were not many attendees. Still I saw this as an excellent educational opportunity and was excited to find a family there giving blood. The two parents were participating in a public service that was educating their children to value such a contribution to our societies health. In addition to the blood drive, the family was able to share some group time, learning and discussing the many animals at the zoo. As a bonus to my enjoyable time and view of a great opportunity, for the first time when giving blood, my vein was easy to find and only pricked once--yay for experienced professionals.

2 comments:

Cherrie said...

We are having a blood drive at University this week. We have them a few times per semester. I helped out last year (to direct people and to look after them afterwards) and gave blood myself for the first time. Unfortunately, I am unable to give blood this year because I've dropped under the weight threshold and also because yesterday I just had my third Meningicoccal B vaccine shot. =)

Beth said...

Well atleast you are about to contribute as a volunteer and encourage others. There is always something that can be done. I enjoy University blood drives. It was always fun to see the bed and students donating in the residence hall lobby.